Advancement to Candidacy
In order to be formally advanced to candidacy, a student must have:
- Achieved classified status;
- Secured a graduate advisor to supervise the course of study;
- Completed, with the approval of the advisor, at least 12 quarter units of graduate course work at this university and achieved a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (“B”) in those courses; and
- Completed the writing requirement for graduate candidacy; and
- Filed a graduate program approved by the student’s advisor and the coordinator of the program.
Requirements for Graduation
- A minimum of 45 quarter units of acceptable graduate-level work, with at least 32 quarter units completed in residence at California State University, San Bernardino. Thirty-two quarter units must be in 500- and 600-level courses;
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 (“B”) in all courses;
- To provide a breadth of content in this graduate program, 300- or 400-level courses may be used to satisfy some program requirements with the expectation that coursework is increased to satisfy the rigors of graduate work; and
- Successful completion of a thesis or project (ANTH 699).
Thesis/Project: Under normal circumstances, a student must complete a thesis that is approved by his or her thesis committee. The thesis must reflect original work and show a level of competence appropriate for a master’s degree. The thesis committee shall consist of two or three faculty members, including the student’s advisor, mutually agreed upon by the student and faculty. By mutual agreement between the student and advisor, the third committee member may be recruited from archaeologists in the southern California CRM community holding PhDs from accredited institutions. The student should enroll in ANTH699 in the quarter when completion of the thesis is anticipated. On occasion a student may be allowed to substitute a completed project for the thesis. Such a project must have a completed product and would reflect at least the same amount of work as a thesis and be completed to the same standard. The content and appropriateness of the project will be determined by a project committee constituted in the same way as a thesis committee.