Frequently Asked Questions

You must apply to both CSUSB and the BASW program. We have a supplemental application process. The application is available on this website, under the Admissions Tab. To get into the BASW program, you must complete (or be close to completing) the prerequisite courses; have an overall GPA of 2.5; achieve junior status (completion of 90 units); and earn at least a C grade in SW 200 (Introduction to Social Work), CJUS 101 (Introduction to Criminal Justice), and Statistics. The application is due at the end of March for the year you intend to begin the BASW program.

Most of them need to have been met. SW 200 (Introduction to Social Work) is the one prerequisite that must be completed before a student can be accepted into the program. If you have some classes you still need to complete, but are almost done with the lower division General Education and BASW Prerequisite courses, we advise you to apply. Contact our office (see below) for additional assistance in making this decision.

The Program Advising Worksheet for Students (PAWS) is an automated credit summary for undergraduate degrees that provides students with a listing of all coursework required for graduation from CSUSB.

Freshman students should take SW 200 in their second year, complete their English and math requirements. Over the next two years, students should be working on completing the prerequisite courses for the BASW program and most of the CSUSB general education courses. See our 4, 5 & 6 year plans under "Roadmap to Graduation".

If you have been accepted to CSUSB, your PAWS report can guide you through the courses you need to complete for graduation. Be sure you are listed as a Pre-Social Work major so that your PAWS report accurately reflects the required courses. 

If you have not received your PAWS report, you can go to ASSIST and compare the courses you took at your community college to the general education requirements at CSUSB to see what requirements you have met.

Please contact the School of Social Work (909) 537-5501 for an appointment.

Attend one of the BASW Program Information Sessions (see the BASW admissions page for dates), review the Admissions webpage and the BASW application packet, review the roadmap to graduation webpage, or set up an appointment for advising on specific questions.

Two years. Because the social work courses are offered in sequence the time period cannot be shortened. (See BASW main page)

The BASW within the School of Social Work is a professional degree, nationally recognized through its accreditation by the Council on Social Work Education. All courses are taught by social workers and the field placement is supervised by Master's level social workers.

Applicants must complete or be close to completing all of the specified prerequisites courses or their equivalents before they can be accepted into the BASW Program. Equivalent courses may be taken at community colleges. (See Tips for Transfer Students and the BASW Prerequisite Equivalent List under the Roadmap to Graduation page).

Students enter only in the fall term due to the sequencing of the program. (See BASW main page and admissions page)

Space in the program is limited. For this reason, it is best to apply by the end of the March deadline.

Students should submit a completed application packet beginning March 1st. We recommend the application packet be submitted to the School of Social Work by 4:30 pm on the last Friday in March for early decisions. Applications may be obtained on this website. (See Admissions page)

The SW 200 (Introduction to Social Work) course at CSUSB is designed to give an overview of the Social Work profession and work with students in deciding if social work is the correct career path for them. Several local community colleges offer equivalent courses (see the Tips for Transfer Students page for the prerequisite equivalent guide). Students at a community college may also use the cross-enrollment or dual admission process to take SW 200 at CSUSB while still a student at the community college. If you have taken an Introduction to Social Work course at a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited program, it may be considered an equivalent course. Please contact Dr. McAllister for additional information.

Spanish is the language skill most needed in the Inland Empire. No other language can be substituted for Spanish, however students have the option of satisfying this prerequisite in many ways. Please contact our office for additional information.

Yes. The summer course(s) will be considered as work in progress pending the final grade in the summer course(s).

The field requirement is 16 hours per week during fall, winter and spring quarters of the senior year. In the junior year, students are surveyed on their placement preferences and needs. Most placements are arranged by the end of the student's junior year. (See BASW Field Practicum)

No. We cannot guarantee weekend and/or evening field placements that meet both the expectations and requirements of our School of Social Work, or the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) which accredits our program.